Kids Connection Haiti is a non-profit organization, founded to offer at-risk Haitian youth the tools to build more stable and secure futures. Focusing on post-orphanage services, Kids Connection Haiti offers technical advice and financial support for education and livelihoods, contribution to sustainable, independent lives.

kidsconnectionhaiti.org

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Moving forward together


As I had mentioned a few posts back, I was given a classroom to teach in for the summer. Lucardo and I told the owner of the school that if any of his students wanted to attend the class as well, they were more than welcomed to. Five weeks went by without a neighborhood kid showing up. I’ve been told that Haitians do not like things that are free, or they think free things are not good for them, except for food that is. This is my first concern. I am not sure if this is the result of having so many organizations in the country that don’t really have an impact on daily lives, or jut the mentality of Haitians. I am still thinking about this.

Back to what I was saying…

Issues with free services could explain why it took 5 weeks for me to get these neighborhood kids to come to my class. Maybe it was seeing the KCH students come regularly that encouraged them.

One of these students from the neighborhood, a young man of 23 years old if my memory is good, gave me a piece of paper last week on which he had written:

Bonjou Chè Ariane, jodia mwen vle ekriw ti biyè sa jis poum diw mwen vle pou ta banm yon travay. OK mèsi.” [ Good morning Ariane, today I am giving you this note because I would like you to to give me work. Ok, thanks.]

At first I didn’t understand…He wants homework? He wants me to give him an exam? Ohhh, he wants work, as in JOB. Ah! This brings me to my second concern…

I asked him what job he wanted. He said: "Nenpòt" [Anything]. Knowing more and more about Haiti and Haitians, I knew this wasn’t true. So I asked him in creole “ Do you want to lift cement, lift iron rods, lift wood?.” “Non non non!”[No] was his reponse, while waving his hand in front of me,

Well then, you don’t want just ANY job. So what do you want?
… No answer.

You need to know what you want to do. Do you want to sweep floors?” Knowing too well what his answer would be, I asked this question with an ulterior motive. Yes, I did. After all, I’m in Haiti because I want to see change. Change in behaviors, in attitudes, change in the country. I used to be idealistic, now you could say I just speak my mind because reality is harsh, and work is necessary to change.

The young man answered that he does not what to sweep floors. Why?
Ayisyen genyen twòp konplèks" [Haitians have too many issues, prejudices towards themselves.]
That’s what I expected to hear. Well, at 8:30 am, I was ready for this discussion and I so I gave them a lesson: Ayiti pap janm dekole si okun moun pa vle bale!! [Haiti will never take off if no one wants to sweep floors!]. This was followed by a speech about how, if Haitians know they have these issues and prejudices, they are able to let go of them. If you are conscious that you have certain issues it is your choice to decide to stick with them or not. For Haiti to move on, individuals must start moving on. I told them how in Canada, white, black, brown, yellow, old and young, everyone sweeps, and we want to move forward. Of course Canada is much different than Haiti, but that is really not the point. With their eyes wide open, their jaws on the floor, I finished by telling them that if I didn’t like Haiti, I would not be here, so I am saying this out of love.
It was quite a start to the day, one I hope they will remember for a while, or it at least think about.

No comments:

Post a Comment