Kids Connection Haiti is a non-profit organization, founded to offer at-risk Haitian youth the tools to build more stable and secure futures. Focusing on post-orphanage services, Kids Connection Haiti offers technical advice and financial support for education and livelihoods, contribution to sustainable, independent lives.

kidsconnectionhaiti.org

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Business or Pleasure? Humm, Both!


Last year, our micro-business students attended a training program with SOFHIDES ( the Haitian Financial Society of development, which works on the economic development of Haiti by supporting investments, businesses, providing training, etc. See http://www.sofihdes.com/).  The students who attended the business training program were interested in starting their own small business. In order to evaluate the training and get feedback from the students about their experience and their businesses, we decided to get them to fill out a questionnaire, and I would compile the results into a report.
Last week I started meeting the students. Marie Nicole, Martine and Jean Thony came to the office a Thursday afternoon. Picture myself translating the English questionnaire in Creole, considering that I don’t speak creole perfectly and I sometimes just take the “r” out of French words, and change the “u” sound to an “I” sound so that they understand!

Too shy to look at the camera, KCH business students spent
the afternoon with me filing out the questionnaire.
Well, it took us about 2 ½ hours to answer the questionnaire because we were laughing so much. We were joking about their answers; I was trying to get them to answer fully and give more detail, not be shy about speaking their mind. Haitians have a tendency not give too many details, maybe out of fear, I’m not sure.
We spent the whole afternoon laughing and it made my day, considering that my morning class din’t go as smoothly as I wanted. I find this happens a lot here; something will happen that might discourage you, or put you down a bit, but within a few hours you get turned around by people you meet, or a new event.  The unexpected is always welcomed.

No comments:

Post a Comment