Kids Connection Haiti is a non-profit organization, founded to offer at-risk Haitian youth the tools to build more stable and secure futures. Focusing on post-orphanage services, Kids Connection Haiti offers technical advice and financial support for education and livelihoods, contribution to sustainable, independent lives.

kidsconnectionhaiti.org

Monday, July 23, 2012

Teaching to Learn & Learning to Teach

Jean Paul and Lourdia answering questions I put on the board
It's been 3 weeks since the English class has started. It's a challenge everyday. I have to say, this is my first experience teaching. I have to be ready to improvise and to adapt. Not just because this is my first experience but also because my students have different levels of English, and I am in another country, facing challenges that come with a different culture. All in all, I find myself, the teacher, learning everyday. 

My students are great, in fact, they are amazing. After 2 or 3 hours of class, they still have plenty of energy. They participate in class, ask questions, ask me to repeat a word 10 times until they get the right pronunciation, they always want me to teach them more material - to the point that sometimes I am the one who is exhausted! How can they still be here listening to me?! Well, it's their determination that motivates me to plan my classes everyday, to try to come up with fun ways of practicing verbs tenses and new vocabulary. 

Myself with the students, practicing verbs in groups
Yes, It's been 3 weeks since I started teaching and although I sometimes doubt my capabilities to do so, I never doubt theirs. It's a great feeling really, when you see your students are able to apply something you've just showed them. I am grateful for their patience with me. The State exams aren't over yet, so I expect to have more students show up this week and next, which adds to the challenge of adapting. It means that I have to make sure I am not going over old material and boring my other students by trying to help out the new ones. Almost every class, one of the students turns into a little helper and will show and explain to other students the material from last class. Extending what I would call one of KCH's motto to constantly
Pay it forward, that's what my students do with no hesitation: they help one another, it's reciprocity and exchange.

But now, it's time to plan some homework and a midterm exam!

No comments:

Post a Comment