Kids Connection Haiti is a non-profit organization, founded to offer at-risk Haitian youth the tools to build more stable and secure futures. Focusing on post-orphanage services, Kids Connection Haiti offers technical advice and financial support for education and livelihoods, contribution to sustainable, independent lives.

kidsconnectionhaiti.org

Wednesday, July 4, 2012

First day of class

Tuesday was the first day of the English class I'll be teaching this summer. I had 4 students, 2 of which have a beginners level of English, and the other 2 are intermediate. From day one, I knew it would be a challenge to fill their needs because of their different levels. Nonetheless, our class went well. We went back to basics, looking at days of the week, months, seasons, numbers, and how to tell time. Everyone participated, came up to the board, asked questions. After 2 hours of class, I asked if they thought it was enough for the day, and one of the students, Lourdia, said "Done? But we just started." Yikes. :) They definitely want to learn and want to practice speaking.

The teacher who said I was able to use his classroom told Lucardo he had about 30 students who would like to attend my class. Double yikes. More students is good for group activities, but a challenge to have them all at the same level eventually. I am slowly trying to figure out how to set up my classes, probably splitting the group in 2 (beginners and intermediate) so that each student feels comfortable.

My classroom where I will be teaching English, in Pernier.
So happy to have a blackboard!




I have to spend a few hours everyday planning the next lessons, trying to make it interesting for them by talking about things they come across daily. I'm lucky the students are patient, polite and hard working.

I'm off to plan tomorrow's lesson!

No comments:

Post a Comment